- Travel with a companion
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear for the trail conditions and season.
- Check your equipment
- Be weather wise. Keep an eye on current and predicted weather conditions. (See weather for Brodnax, La Crosse, Lawrenceville, South Boston, South Hill and Victoria.)
- Let the slowest person in your hiking, horseriding, or biking party set the pace. This is especially important when children are a part of your group.
- Leave your itinerary with a friend or family member and check in with them upon your return. (you can also find sample itineraries on the town links above)
- Wear sunglasses and a hat
- Bring sunscreen no matter the season. You can get painful sunburns even in freezing temperatures.
- Bring a customized first aid kit tailored to your outing.
- Take frequent rests
- Drink plenty of water
- Be sure to keep pets on leash
EMERGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION
La Crosse—Brodnax—South Hill
103 South Brunswick Avenue South Hill, VA 23970
Community Memorial Hospital
125 Buena Vista Circle South Hill, VA 23970
Emergency Department (434) 774-2412
400 North Main Street Lawrenceville, VA 23868
640 Hamilton Blvd South Boston, VA 24592
Halifax Regional Hospital
2204 Wilborn Ave South Boston, VA 24592
Emergency Department (434) 517-3123
1802 Main St Victoria, VA 23974
*Contact Trail Coordinator M-F: (434) 447-7101